Saturday, March 20, 2010

A wise missionary once told us to list 3 things to accomplish in the day and if we got one done, the day is a success. That is because things move slower around here. Need to send a package? Get in line and wait for 45 minutes. Need to pay your bill? Take a number and wait for 45 minutes. Need to send a fax? Good luck. That one took us 3 hours. But we got 'er done!

last week and this one, we've had a couple flights per week here on our island. Ben also has written out a list (YES! I have triumphed in turning him into a list lover...at least in this case) of various maintenance projects to be done when flights slow down. So, he has been working on that. We also joined him at the hangar yesterday for a rousing afternoon of cleaning.

At home, we have been fighting a flu bug. 3/5 of the family had and conquered. That being said, we who were at home had a pretty lazy week. I pulled out one of my favorite poetry books and Ty kept asking for more until we read the whole thing. Lest you think him a literary giant at 5, the author is Shel Silverstein and the book, A Light in the Attic, is full of great pictures, and poems like this:
Hammock
Grandma sent the hammock
The good Lord sent the breeze,
I'm here to do the swinging--
Now, who's gonna move the trees?

(picture accompanying with only one tree to hang the hammock up with)

& this one is from the one we will read today!:

I made myself a snowball as perfect as could be
I thought I'd keep it as a pet and let it sleep with me
I made it some pajamas and a pillow for its head
Then last night, it ran away, but first it wet the bed!

Shakespeare can wait--these are the true works of literary genius!

So, today we will hopefully finish the playhouse that we have been working on since before Christmas, and get it set up in the house. That's after Ben gets back from flying and the plane gets a bath.

In honor of our literary theme for the week, I have written a little poem:

Things done this week

I took a lazy week and simply moseyed along
and took things as they came just a'whistlin' my song
Cleaned up my girl's messy flu bug --splish
Pulled hundreds of ticks from the dog --squish
Pushed the kids on the swing ---swish
Killed them roosters that liked to sing -- delish!
Touched the mangos, got puffy lips -- kish
Lost some inches from my hips -- I wish!