Saturday, October 25, 2008

Christmas Season

Here's some Filipino culture for you. The Philippines boasts the world's longest Christmas season. Beginning in September (the 'ber' months), one can begin to hear the sweet sounds "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas" and "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" and, on occasion "the Night Santa Went Crazy" (by the esteemed Weird Al). The stores put out their decorations, all the while also having the other holiday decorations out (currently, the grocery store has a 'merry halloween' sign posted). This will build over the months, and in December, carolers hit the streets, singing house to house. Usually, they are rewarded with a few pesos or food. We often give candy to the kids who come. The season does not end until the first week of January, when they celebrate the 'Feast of the 3 Kings.'

You may ask, have you been sucked into the Christmas joy when it is merely October? I mean, after all, many back in the states get pretty feisty if those twinkly lights go up before Thanksgiving. I admit, I have. I have my twinkly lights up and even put up snowflakes. It's wishful thinking, but I think I feel a little cooler in this tropical heat when I look at my sparkly snowflakes...

1 comment:

Shilo said...

Sounds like where we used to live too!